If you or a friend are experience more than one of the following signs, some help is most likely necessary:
- Serious depression
- Increasingly isolated
- Giving away prized possessions
- Sudden drop in school or work performance
- Making statements about wanting to die
- Acting in a violent fashion
- Taking unnecessary risks
- Threatening to commit suicide
- Acting in a strange manner
- Suddenly happy for no reason after a long depression
- Abusing alcohol or other drugs
While each person experiences crisis differently, suicidal thoughts and feelings pose the highest risks to individuals in crisis. If you are having suicidal feelings, or if you are concerned that a friend is suicidal, listen carefully, stay with your friend, and get help immediately.
Call 1-800-892-8900 if you are near McHenry County. Trained counselors will answer 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.